There are SO many people who still don’t know about or understand what career coaching is or how to pick a career coach who will best serve them.
I continue to get emails, social media messages, and phone calls from people asking me to explain what career coaching is, who I think would be a good coach for them, or how to determine which coach is the right coach for them.
If you have the same kind of questions, keep reading because below are the answers!
Career coaching is getting the support, help, and guidance you need to figure things out to reach your ultimate career goals. A career coach is there to ask questions, give you guidance, and help you overcome whatever challenges you’re facing in your job search.
In a coach/client relationship, you hold the agenda. Your coach is trained and skilled in providing you with insight, support, and the direction you need to achieve the goals you have in mind. In other words, position you to reach your goals sooner than later when trying to do it on your own.
Many things come into play and depending on what your objectives are will determine the focus of your coaching sessions.
An ongoing coach/client relationship strengthens awareness of what’s holding you back or showing up as road blocks that’s getting in the way of moving forward and being able to focus your efforts on reaching the goal(s) you’re targeting.
A career coach helps you establish realistic goals, discover solutions to challenges you’re up against, develop action plans, build self-confidence, and instills motivation to take action unlike many job seekers who do the minimum and hope for the best.
It’s up to you to take charge of your career—not someone else’s.
Working with a career coach is working with someone who genuinely shares the same ultimate goal you have, creating and adding excitement during the process! The one-on-one career coaching experience is an excellent way to:
- receive personalized advice, support, and guidance when making career decisions.
- determine what steps to take and strategies to use.
- come up with a customized plan that will keep you on track to accomplish what you set yourself out to do.
.What a career coach is NOT…
A career coach is not a counselor or therapist. A career coach helps you develop proficiencies, whereas a career counselor helps their clients overcome deficiencies.
Therapy often deals with a person’s history and the “why’s” of that history; coaching deals with the future and the “hows” of making the future become what the client wants it to become.
Those suffering from depression, anxiety, or problems that interfere with life situations should seek professional counseling. Career coaches do not tell their clients what to do with their lives.
To benefit from career coaching, you have to be willing to be coached. Meaning, you’re open to new ideas, willing to make changes, welcome constructive criticism, and ready to take action. Results come from taking action, making all of your hard work and efforts worthwhile!
What will a career coach do for you? A career coach will…
- challenge and inspire you to do your best.
- be there to support you each step of the way.
- give you feedback, back you when times get difficult, and will be honest and up front.
- hold you accountable.
- tell it like it is—not letting you get off easy when it comes to stepping up to the plate (unlike friends, co-workers, and spouses).
A career coach is your personal advocate and is there for you during a time that’s often filled with stress, doubt, and fear.
Career coaching will serve you best IF you’re willing to…
- put forth effort and do the work.
- let the coach do the coaching.
- “try on” new concepts or different ways of doing things.
- change self-defeating behaviors that limit your success.
- And, you’re acting of your own free will (not at the bidding of others)
- ready to make the commitment to achieve
- serious about moving forward and making changes to reach your goals.
Bottom Line: No action, no results.
Ready to find your career coaching expert? We have worked in partnership with the number 1 career coaches in Kenya and we believe working with us would really help you move to the next step in your life